Sunday 19 June 2011

The Road To Aberdeen

The road from Pitlochry to Braemar is one of the nicest I've driven on in Scotland. No lochs but everything else is perfect. Rare blue skies too.







It's a bit harsh to let lambs off the Green Cross Code when dogs have clearly taken the time to read.



This is the A93 at the Cairnwell Pass, the highest road in the UK at 2199 feet above sea level. It doesn't seem quite so high up though as it's surrounded by other mountains.



Braemar is what I'd call a typical highland town - more colourful than it should be, and most people walking around tourists. Having said that it was still a nice place to stop.







This was weird but I like stuff like this. We need more follies. This was on the A939 near Corgarff (which sounds unusually Welsh to me).





My original plan was to go from Braemar to Inverness, have lunch, and then get to Aberdeen by 4pm in time to get the boat. However I have this affliction where I look at a map - any map - and think "that's not that far". When I got to Grantown on Spey I stopped the car, had a think, and then turned it round and headed east instead of west - which turned out to be a very good move. I did stop off at Dufftown, which had no comedy American beer at all, although it was full of distilleries. In fact there were more distilleries than people.







Onto Aberdeen which I didn't find as dreary as people make out. Although as you can see from this picture, the town appears to be in black and white, even if the boats are in colour.



This was more unexpected - Aberdeen has a promenade and beach, and I went down there. Very nice.





This was more unexpected - smack bang opposite the promenade, there was a cricket match going on.





The large building to the right behind the cricket pitch is Pittodrie, home of Aberdeen FC and altogether a bit more substantial than Berwick Rangers. I drove up for a closer look - like the granitey touch they put on everything.



I think it's important to remind people not to bring in missiles. They're just too big for a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment