Sunday 5 June 2011

RIP Martin Rushent

Blimey, they're all dropping like flies, first Donald Hewitt and now this.

The 1982 BRIT award winner for best producer but mostly known for his work with the Human League, and having been alive 30 years ago I can remember what an impact their music had. I was 11 years old when The Sound Of The Crowd came out and it was genuinely the coolest thing I had ever heard, ever - and this was after I'd been mesmerised by Ashes To Ashes the summer before. (The Bowie song, not the TV programme with Keeley Hawes ... oh wait ...)



Of course Martin Rushent didn't produce THIS version, as it's actually live on OTT. Was amazed to find this on the web - one of the better tracks on Dare from the ones they didn't release as a single. Firstly amazed that anyone kept this and could get a copy up on Youtube (quality is understandably a bit pony) and secondly I just love the way they're playing live in the middle of where the audience sit, as opposed to the audience coming to them. But why are the audience all looking straight ahead instead of the beheeled and becoiffeured weirdos behind them?



One of the few other bands his bio mentions him working with in the last 20 years was Mama Shamone, a band who I recorded a session with in October 2006 but are now no more - the bass player, Ru Owen, is now working as a journalist in Baghdad so I don't think I'll see them in the Hoxton Bar and Grill any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment