Saturday 18 June 2011

Berwick-upon-Tweed / Scottish border

Everyone's heard of it but I don't know anyone who's been there, so I stopped there for lunch. (In the end there was nothing I wanted to eat. Especially not this place).



The River Tweed was the natural border between England and Scotland for years although the real border is now a few miles to the north of the town. The Tweed is pretty impressive with three old brick bridges spanning the river.









It's not a touristy place at all, just full of people doing their daily stuff. A lot of shell suits on display, and it's 2011 ... The old Town Hall and Market Cross was nice but everyone clearly takes the place for granted. The town centre is walled and all of the walls are still intact. It was an odd place, and judging from the shops and people it felt like it was 50% English, 50% Scottish without trying to be one or the other (or make a balance between the two).



Of course this place was the real highlight.





In the end I got my lunch - a burger - from this burger van on the border. For £4 I was handed over a burger about eight inches across. When I told the woman in the van that I thought it was a bit big, she said "Yes, that's what we do with our unhealthy food up here, haha!" Welcome to Scotland indeed. (I left about two thirds of it).

No comments:

Post a Comment