Wednesday 25 May 2011

Whatever happened to the 25th of May?

Today is the 25th of May. I would never have realised if I had not heard the BBC tell me this morning, "it's the 25th of May". And I thought, whatever happened to that band?



A Liverpool-based politically motivated rock/rap/indie hybrid with clever titles like 1991 album "Lenin & McCarthy" which I still have in my big box of cassettes up in the loft.

The band used to get an occasional airing on Gary Crowley's excellent Sunday afternoon show on GLR, although probably not Fuck The Right To Vote, which I can't play on the radio either, although I can embed it into a blog post.



I'm not sure what happened on the 25th of May that the band named themselves after. It is also Geek Pride Day, but I'd guess probably not that.

9 comments:

  1. My uncle is Eddy G, he lives on the Isle of Wight and has a family with 3 kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for answering! Yeah I have one of those and 3 of those too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out manbreak, some 25th's went on to from the band in the mid 90's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manbreak consisted of only one member of the 25th of May (Steve Swindelli). The rest of the 25th did nothing musical after splitting. Eddy G is a father and works in mental health, Jimmy Jazz is a social worker and N C Cope lives in New Zealand working as an editor in TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way back in 1982, in Huyton, myself Alan Wilson (bass), Peter Miller (guitar) and Tony Bleasdale (vocals) formed a band. It was not long after the Falklands War and the '25th May' was in the news for being the official national holiday of Argentina. It was Tony's idea to name the band after that date. After I left, then Tony - Miller met Swindells before eventually leaving himself. I believe Swindells kept the name of the band that eventually had a few minor successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, thanks a lot for replying! Didn't know about the history of the band, cheers.

      Delete
  6. Great band...loved them, very talented. Never got the success they deserved. Thanks for the history above.... fascinating.

    ReplyDelete