Tuesday 29 December 2009

Exclusive: Queen (person, not band) is “bo-ring”

From Chortle


The comedian behind inept DJ Ivan Brackenbury has been fired from a genuine radio station – after interrupting the Queen’s speech with a gag.

Tom Binns was sacked by the Midlands-based Orion Media after pulling the plug on the royal Christmas broadcast and saying on air: ‘Two words: Bor-ing.’

A couple of listeners complained – including one who made a death threat – which was enough for bosses to give Binns the boot.

However, the group of stations, which includes BRMB in Birmingham and Mercia in Coventry, was never meant to broadcast the Queen’s message in the first place.

Binns told Chortle: “blah blah” (best read it on the link I think).


Good of his employer to sack him for keeping to the schedule.

I think you have to admire the courage of his convictions as well as his sheer stupidity. As someone who dabbles in radio broadcasting from time to time, and who is OF COURSE professional at all times, I should be rubbing my hands with glee saying “ha! Another idiot bites the dust!” but I just can’t quite seem to this time for some reason.

I think Mercia is a great name for a radio station too. I have visions of guys in full Anglo-Saxon battle gear trying to get their headphones on over their big horny helmets.

No comments:

Post a Comment